Tuesday, November 3, 2009

School is starting...




Thursday the 29th was the preschool children and my very own first day of school. I don’t know why the younger children start so late because the 1st to 5th graders have been in school for two months now, but anyways they were very surprised to see me. I'll begin with the school, it is one long big room with no closed doors or windows, but a roof there is. It’s been in this condition for two years. You can imagine how difficult it can get, especially when all the older children from the other schools who have never seen a white girl can distract the classroom. They pop their heads, laugh, cross the classroom, and get in and out of it. A little frustrating, because of the disrespect and distraction it can cause, but I can understand their interest. Not necessarily because of my color but for the reason why I am here.

Anyways to continue with the preschool classroom, it doesn’t have much other than a small round table, mini desks and chairs (adorable by the way), a small chalkboard and a mat for the children for circle time. The assistants made wonderful decorations, which brings life to the dark cold room. There are two assistants, and no permanent teacher for about 30 children. The teacher who hasn’t arrived yet, stays for a short period of time until the next rotation. I was told that since the school is about only two years, the educational board waits until the third year before they send a full time teacher. They want to make sure that there is a solid demand in the village; Not very assuring if you ask me. I forgot to mention the restroom situation which in my society would be considered shocking, but to for them, it works. The children must do their business outside in the bushes. As for the boys, lucky them, they have a concrete structure on the floor with a hole to go number #1. Hey, at least they learn quickly how to aim a target. It isn’t as bad as it seems and yes they wash their hands. My lovely students, have big eyes for me. Let’s just say they listen during singing, dancing and snack time. Other than that you can imagine what 30 children can be like. First day though!

For being someone who doesn’t like attention, I came to the wrong place. Whenever I step outside the house, it takes only 1 child to attract an other and by the time you know it, I have 20 children behind me following every step I make.

-- CASSANDRE

No comments: